This is a recipe to save! Espresso chocolate chip cookies are a delicious and unique twist on a household classic. We all know espresso and chocolate are a match made in heaven - then add the flake salt on top - perfecto! These cookies are perfect for any coffee lover and make great gifts paired with a bag of Sundream. They are perfect for an afternoon pick-me-up or to enjoy with a cup of coffee.
Espresso chocolate chip cookies are a treat for the taste buds. The moment you take a bite, you'll be greeted with the delicious aroma of freshly brewed espresso, combined with the rich and decadent chocolate chunks. The espresso gives the cookies a subtle but distinct taste, adding a bold and robust flavor that is unique, satisfying and irresistible. Let's get started!
What you'll need:
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 12 oz dark chocolate chunks or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 flake of salt (for sprinkling)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (for baking)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5/16 cup Sundream espresso grounds (we used 1977 but any blend will work)
- 1 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
How to bake:
- Add butter to a medium saucepan on medium heat. When the butter has melted, turn off the heat.
- Pour in the espresso and give it a mix until all of the granules are coated in the butter. Cover the saucepan and let it steep for 20 minutes; this is really going to give us that deep espresso/coffee flavor.
- After steeping, pour the butter through a fine mesh strainer and press the coffee granules so it releases as much of the melted butter as possible. (save some espresso grounds to mix in the batter)
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. All-purpose flour, espresso grounds (just a teeny bit), baking powder, baking soda and kosher salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the espresso butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and mix just until the speckles of flour have disappeared.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix.
- Chill the dough in the fridge. Why chill the dough? If we bake it right away, they’ll bake flatter.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop out cookie dough balls onto your parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 7 to 8 minutes. If the dough is super cold, it may need up to 10 minutes to bake. They should be light to medium golden brown.
- Sprinkle the tops with flaky sea salt & ENJOY!
Enjoy these delicious cookies with a cup of Sundream Coffee for an extra boost of flavor. Cheers!
I cannot wait to try this recipe!!